Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Can You See the Difference Between 150dpi and 300dpi?



BLURRY FURRY

BLURRY NURRDY

I as a graphic designer have always been struggling with printers telling me that 150dpi is okay. While I do want to save space but I don't want quality to suffer. I notice 150dpi it suffers A LOT!

Well I thought this conversation was on point. I totally agree. I'm working on a huge movie poster 27 x 40" and it's a huge file but I think 200dpi should do as Mike answers well.


QuestionHi Mike,
I have a question about resolution of digital photos. Is it realistically possible, to the untrained eye to tell the difference between 150 and 300 dpi?
If I get some files that are 150dpi, how big can I develop the photos so that they still look reasonable?
Whats the difference with 300dpi?

I hope this makes sense.

Many thanks

tim

--------------------------------------

AnswerHiya Tim,

It's a fair question, and one that I have debated before.

You will tend to notice the lesser resolution (150dpi) compared against a higher resolution (300 or 600dpi) as the size of the prints increase and the distance to viewing decreases.

Overall quality depends on the resolution of your camera being matched correctly with the final print resolution. For example, a 6 megapixel camera produces a 3000 x 2000 pixel image. If you set your printer to 300DPI, and you're only printing out an 5 x 7" print, the printer must interpolate (adjust DOWN) the information because there's more information than can fit on the print.

5 inches * 300dpi = room for 1500 pixels on the page...

Viewing distance matters:

For example, if you take a typical billboard photo, they're printed at 50 ppi. But as you drive down the road, you really cant tell that. If you walk up close and personal to the billboard, you'd see it right away.

The closer you plan to look at the image, the higher the resolution is needed to produce quality results.

You can see the difference between 150 DPI and 300 DPI on an 8 x 10" print held at arm's length. Now, if that same image is printed to a smaller page, the differences won't be apparent until you bring the image closer.

200 DPI is considered a great wall-hanging picture resolution. It's more than enough for passer-by's and high enough that it'll stand close-up scruitiny for those who want a second look.

Merry Christmas Tim,

-Mike  

No comments:

Post a Comment